Recognizing that the Arts contribute significantly to the quality of life in California; play an important role in the identity, innovation and economy of this state; and citing the dramatic decline in arts education programs in the state’s public schools, the Joint Committee on the Arts was formed in 1984.
Core areas that the Committee is authorized and directed to study, investigate and analyze include:
- Goals appropriate to the future of the arts and cultural life of California and the role the Legislature and state government should play in achievement of these goals;
- Arts legislation in other states and at the federal level and recommendations for legislation in this state;
- The status of arts education in California;
- The economic impact of the Arts in California; and
- The budget and programs of the California Arts Council.